Monday 30 May 2016

Monday 30th May 2016

For those of you enjoying the day off, think of me working! I always have to work on a Monday and about half of the Bank Holidays fall on a Monday so a bit of rush, as usual, to fit the walk in.

Actually I've gone a bit wild today, only the floral variety, it must be the influence of Chelsea Flower Show.

What a difference a day makes! I'm so pleased to be able to show you the rhododendron almost in full bloom.

I took the left turn today and photographed some similar scenes to those you have seen before but then found one of my favourite flowers, the honeysuckle.  This is the native plant growing wild in the hedge. I adore scented flowers, the dianthus group, jasmine, herbs and have just discovered that the sweetest little clematis growing over an archway in my garden has the most beautiful scent for such a small flower.

A flower I was definitely NOT going to sniff was this digitalis, the wild foxglove, it looks splendid growing on the side of the field but is poisonous.

This next plant is one I only discovered just a few years ago.  I'd seen it but didn't know what it was. It isn't quite in full bloom yet but will soon open into small white flowers and is another plant with a heavenly scent.  The flowers can be dried or used fresh in many recipes such as cheesecake or drinks (my father used to make a wonderful elderflower wine).  My employer is the person who interested me in elderflower, she is a nutritionist who is also very talented in many other ways.  She is a qualified chef and ran a very successful organic hotel and restaurant for years and also teaches food and nutrition, how what you eat affects your health and eating seasonal food.  I used to dislike soup until I ate the most delicious homemade soups made from either courgette, beetroot or carrot with ginger.  I even make it myself now. She has a great knowledge of foraging in the wild for food so I tried to learn as much as possible from her as I do love free food. 

One autumn I was suffering from a sore throat and she made me a really tasty drink. It was made from the berries of the elderflower that (if not all the flowers are picked) are produced in the autumn. She had made an elderberry syrup that, when mixed with hot water and a little honey, soothed my throat while tasting delicious. 

The last photo is my own little baby elderflower tree. If left to grow in the hedgerow it will become a tree but mine kept being cut down by the tractor and hedge trimmer cutting the other side so I nurtured a little tiny piece I broke off and was thrilled when it rooted.  Once the diseased plum tree was cut down I planted this to fill the space and give it a chance to produce lots of flowers and berries for me.  I hope it will grow quite quickly now it's in the ground.

That is nearly the end of the nature walk but I did try again to take a video.  It will be best to turn the volume up and shut your eyes as my videoing is a little shaky but the birds are chatting away.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment