Monday 23 May 2016

Monday 23rd May 2016

I was later than I meant to be when I eventually got out tonight so, sorry, it's the field again as that is where the sun is still shining.  I think I have found a few different things to show you, though.

The first picture is one of my favourite spots, leaning on the wooden bridge watching the stream.  I actually took this to show you 'Rocky Island' but, due to the sun being in my eyes, I  missed to capture that bit.  Just above the greenery on the left, there is a circle of stones in the shallow water and my children and their friends used to have immense fun playing on what they named 'Rocky Island'. 

As mentioned before, the sides of the path are getting long and the nettles and grass now reach my knees. I did feel as though I was on an assault course picking my way through.

The next image shows this lovely gate on the pathway.  It has been there a long time but is in good condition and blends in so well with the scenery.

Then we have a field of barley that will slowly grow golden as the months go by. A few years ago, I was merrily marching along this path and the last field (the largest of the three) had a huge crop that I had never seen growing in this area before.  It stretched way above me and I had the urge to sing 'the corn was as high as an elephant's eye'.  I didn't but might just have hummed it quietly to myself.  After some investigation (asked my farmer brother-in-law) it was thought to be maize and, as they just had their anaerobic digester, explains the change in crops that year.

I prefer maize being in the field than what was there the year before.  I left my car in the garage for its MOT and decided to walk home, approaching the field from the other end of the footpath, only to find a group of young cattle, with horns, curious about the walker in their midst.  I have always been a little nervous of cows, particularly the horned variety, lost my nerve and climbed behind the barb wired fence that edged a ditch.  They all followed me up the field watching my every move as I tried to climb round nettles and thistles. I was beginning to panic slightly as I was running out of fence when, luckily, they lost interest and made their way back down.  I made a swift run towards the next gate and made my way home.  It took me over an hour to walk what should have taken half that time!

Last photo- make a wish!


No comments:

Post a Comment